GAME ART EXERCISE FUNDATION
|| Leong Hui Xuan 0365793
|| 20/04/2026 - 26/07/2026 (Week 01 - Week
14)
|| Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
(Entertainment Design)
|| GCD61904 Game Art
|| Exercise Fundation
Table of Content
- Instruction
- Progress
- Final Outcome
- Feedback
- Reflection
INSTRUCTION
PROGRESS
In this project, we were required to choose a game as the basis for creating
either an environment or a character design. I chose "The Legend of Zelda"
as my theme so that it would connect with my previous environment and
vehicle projects, allowing me to maintain a consistent visual style and
world-building direction.
In particular, I used "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" as my
reference because of its strong art direction and exceptional environmental
design. The game demonstrates how environments can feel immersive, cohesive,
and rich in storytelling without relying heavily on dialogue or narration.
I am especially inspired by how "Breath of the Wild" seamlessly blends
fantasy with ancient technology, creating a world where every visual element
from the landscapes and architecture to the ruins and machinery feels
thoughtfully designed and interconnected. This makes it an excellent
reference for game art, particularly when creating believable environments
and designs that effectively support gameplay and narrative.
I decied to design a character boss that can place in my environment arena.
After that we have some exercise to do.
Shape Language Studies
I explored several character concepts before deciding on the final design.
My initial ideas were based on two different directions. The first concept
was inspired by aquatic creatures such as jellyfish and octopuses, focusing
on soft, flowing forms and organic shapes. The second concept was based on a
snake, emphasising a long, flexible body and a more intimidating appearance
that would be suitable for a boss character.
Form Exploration
Weapon Sketches
Textures and Material Rendering
This chest is an exercise in class to gave us more understanding about how the
UV works in blender.
FINAL OUTCOME
REFLECTION
Overall, this exercise helped me develop a better understanding of shape language and how silhouettes play an important role in character design. By exploring different forms, proportions, and visual elements, I learned how a character’s silhouette can communicate its personality, function, and role within a game even before adding detailed features or textures.
Through the ideation process, I experimented with different character concepts, gameplay possibilities, and design directions. This allowed me to explore how visual design choices can influence the way players perceive and interact with a character. I also learned that a strong character design should not only look visually interesting but should also support its intended gameplay purpose and narrative.

.jpg)
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment