Vehicle and Props Design Final Project

 VEHICLE & PROPS DESIGN FINAL PROJECT

|| 20/04/2026 - 26/07/2026 (Week 01 - Week 14)
|| Bachelor of Design in Creative Media (Entertainment Design)
|| GCD61804  Vehicle Design
|| Final Project Post Production and Profilling



Table of Content

  1. Instruction
  2. Progress
  3. Final Outcome 
  4. Feedback
  5. Reflection


INSTRUCTION



PROGRESS

In this Final Project, I was required to further develop my vehicle by applying textures, materials, and rendering the final 3D model. Besides completing the 3D, I also needed to create a concept art piece to showcase the vehicle within its intended environment.


Based on my vehicle blockout, I further developed the design by adding additional mechanical details and decorative elements to enhance the steampunk style and make the vehicle better fit within the game world. I incorporated gear-like decorations and other mechanical components to strengthen the visual language and create a more detailed and believable design.

Besides the exterior details, I also refined the interior by adding hinges and structural elements to make the vehicle feel more solid and functional. These small details helped communicate how different parts of the vehicle are connected and operated.

I also added a drawer mechanism on the stand that holds the large joystick. This addition not only improved the functionality of the interior design but also provided more narrative elements, suggesting that the vehicle has storage space and practical features for the player’s journey.



This is the a rough texture progress.


For the screen textures, I need to refined the interface to create a stronger submarine-inspired aesthetic that better matches the vehicle's underwater exploration theme. For the interior floor, I need to replaced the original material with a horizontal line normal map.


Texture Studies


I mainly use Substance Painter to paint over my assets.


Vehicle Assets Breakdown



Orthographic Views



Key Arts



Concept Art





FINAL OUTCOME




FEEDBACK

During the consultation, Sir Kannan suggested several improvements to enhance both the functionality and realism of the vehicle. For the cockpit layout, he recommended rearranging the positions of the control joysticks by placing the directional joystick in the centre, allowing the player to control the vehicle more comfortably and naturally. The larger control levers were then moved to both sides of the seat, with one dedicated to ascending and the other to descending.

In addition, Sir Kannan advised me to add more supporting cables to connect the wings to the main structure of the vehicle. These structural cables help reinforce the design, making the wings appear more securely attached and mechanically supported.



REFLECTION

Throughout this module, I gained a much deeper understanding of vehicle design, including how a vehicle’s form, function, and user interaction work together to create a believable concept. Before taking this module, I had very little knowledge of vehicle design, so I found the process quite challenging in the beginning. However, through research, sketching, experimentation, and continuous feedback from Sir Kannan, I developed a better understanding of how to design a vehicle with both aesthetic appeal and practical functionality.

One of the most valuable lessons I learned was that every design decision should have a purpose. A successful vehicle is not only visually appealing but also communicates how it works, how the player interacts with it, and why each component exists.

I also realised that storytelling is one of the areas I still need to improve. During the consultations, Sir Kannan encouraged me to include more narrative details, such as adding drawers, hinges, storage compartments, and other functional mechanical components. Although these details may seem small, they help communicate how the vehicle is used, maintained, and lived in, making the design feel much more believable and immersive.

Overall, this module has strengthened both my technical skills and my design thinking, giving me a solid foundation that I can continue to build upon in future vehicle and environment design projects.

Comments