VEHICLE DESIGN PROJECT 1
|| 20/04/2026 - 26/07/2026 (Week 01 - Week
14)
|| Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
(Entertainment Design)
|| GCD61804 Vehicle Design
|| Project 1 Pre-Production
Table of Content
- Instruction
- Progress
- Final Outcome
- Feedback
- Reflection
INSTRUCTION
PROGRESS
In this project, we were required to develop and design a vehicle and props
based on a chosen theme or topic. I decided to connect my vehicle design with
my environment project, so I continued using the same theme inspired by The
Legend of Zelda. The main goal of this vehicle design was to create a
transportation system that could help players explore challenging terrains or
specific areas within the environment.
Moodboard
Idea and Concept
Vehicle
I want to design a momentum-driven vehicle inspired by the gliding of
hovercraft and the aerodynamic systems of gliders. This vehicle is designed
for fast travel across water and temporary aerial gliding between cliffs,
islands, dams, and other elevated terrain.
Function of the Vehicle:
- Hover smoothly above water using air cushion technology
- Absorb and compress water while moving
- Use water pressure to generate temporary launch boosts
- Deploy foldable sails for gliding
- Traverse long distances using wind and momentum
- Glide from high terrain even without stored water
Props
I want to design a high-speed riding suit designed for the vehicle to cross
water and air environments. The suits are inspired by MotoGP and F1 suits to
help the driver safely control the vehicle during rapid acceleration, water
traversal, and aerial gliding.
Function of the pro:
- Maintain stability during high-speed movement
- Protect the body from impact, wind, water, heat, and cold
- Improve control while steering and gliding
-
Stay securely attached to the vehicle during rapid acceleration and
aerial movement
Exploration and Sketches
Lastly, I decided to use idea #9 as the foundation of my vehicle design
because it successfully combines both the visual inspiration and functional
requirements that I wanted to achieve. The silhouette still maintains the
recognizable characteristics of a Stingray, while reducing the overly organic
and flowy appearance to create a more structured and mechanical form.
Based on idea #9, I continued developing the concept by creating more sketches
and exploring different gameplay possibilities for the vehicle. I experimented
with two main approaches: the first concept allows the player to stand on top
of the vehicle while gliding, creating a more open and dynamic experience
where the player can feel more connected to the environment.
The second concept focuses on a more enclosed design, where the vehicle
includes an integrated cockpit or seating area for the player to sit inside
and directly control the vehicle. This approach provides a more practical and
immersive interaction between the player and the vehicle.
SILHOUETTE
ROUGH VALUE PAINTING
COLOR AND TEXTURES
PROPS SKETCHES
I chose the middle design as my base for props.
FINAL OUTCOME
FEEDBACK
Sir Kannan suggested that I could redesign the vehicle so that the player sits inside the vehicle while still maintaining the original overall design direction. Instead of having the player stand on top of the vehicle, I could integrate a dedicated seating area by modifying the existing form and creating an opening or inserted space within the structure.
Besides the structural adjustment, Sir Kannan also advised me to reconsider using carbon fibre textures for the interior materials, as the surface would appear too smooth and slippery, which may not be suitable for a functional vehicle interior.
REFLECTION
Throughout this project, I explored and developed many different ideas regarding the shape, structure, and functions of the vehicle. Since I did not have much knowledge or experience in vehicle design, the early stage of the process was challenging, and it took me time to understand the design logic and decide on the most suitable direction for the concept.
Through continuous exploration, sketching, and consultation with Sir Kannan, I gradually gained a clearer understanding of how to balance the vehicle’s visual design with its functionality. Based on his feedback, I decided to develop the vehicle as a sitting-based design rather than a standing platform, as this approach provides a more believable interaction between the player and the vehicle while creating a more immersive gameplay experience.
Overall, I felt quite uncertain and confused during the initial stage of the project, especially when exploring the possibilities of vehicle structure and function. However, as the project progressed, I gained a better understanding of the design process and learned the importance of researching, experimenting, and receiving feedback to improve my ideas.


.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment